Sunday, October 10, 2010

Falling behind.

It seems I've gotta pick up the pace on this blogging business, but I'm just not sure what to write. Though more because I'm lazy, I've realized, rather than an actual absence of material. Probably most importantly, last Sunday Katie, Polly, our new friend Dima and I went on a mini tour of Moscow-- stopping by the honey festival once again, roaming through Tsaritsino Park, stopping by a Starbucks, before our final landing at МГУ (Moscow State University) and Sparrow Hill. Here are a few photos from that day:

Entrance to the fair, adorable little child staring at us:



First things first, getting some medovukha (some sort of honey-based alcoholic beverage) samples!



Now we can move on to honey samples...




Above you see some sort of women's medovukha being sold by the same vendor who was selling the "man juice" below:



We decided to be brave and sample them... but they weren't as tasty as some of the other medovukhas. You can't quite tell from the photos, but there were hundreds and hundreds of vendors from every obscure region of Russia that you can imagine. This made it very difficult to decided not only which kind of honey we wanted to buy, but from where.

Since the honey festival was being held right next to Tsaristino park (just like the first time I went...), we wandered through like a pack of bear cubs there when we were all honey-d out.



Some beautiful fall trees... I'm still blown away by how beautiful the season is here.



Peering out from the bridge...


The stunning palace:



Beautiful Orthodox church, called "Source of Life" (Живоносный Источник)


"United Russia," the largest political party in Russia:



We spent a good little while relaxing in Starbucks, soaking up the warmth and enjoying the people watching that Old Arbat (a pedestrian street in a very wealthy area of Moscow dating back to at least the 15th century) had to offer.



Then we made our way to МГУ (Moscow State University)!! Built in the so-called Stalin Style of architecture (Сталинский ампир). It's difficult to fully capture the size of this place in a photo. It's hard to describe it in any way but "breathtaking."




Posing next to Mendeleev, creator of the periodic table of the elements (basically) and pioneer in regulations on mass vodka production.



Pavlov... anyone hear a bell? We were going for posing like dogs, but probably look more like bunnies.


The four of us atop Sparrow Hill, offering an amazing panoramic view of Moscow:



It was pretty chilly, and Katie put Canada to shame by being freezing for the last hour or two we were out, but it didn't rain and was, overall, a lovely day. And what a treat to be driven around the city. AND, we even got a discount on the honey we bought, as a sign of American-Canadian-Russian friendship. Can't beat that.


Things are not especially exciting here in Mytishchi. Hectic weeks followed by long weekends, and twice a month I get paid. In roubles. Straight cash. I'm also enjoying my return to running, something I realized I haven't done regularly in years.

Next up on the blogging agenda is the Canadian Thanksgiving Katie and I held last night at her apartment. I'll do my best to write about it before another week slips by.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my God. Do you know how much I want to be in Russia right now??

    ReplyDelete