Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was just over a week ago. We celebrated on Sunday. It was a mixed bunch, consisting of two Americans (U-S-A! U-S-A!), A Canadian, an Irishman, and four Russians. Much smaller and more manageable than the Canadian Thanksgiving back in early October. There was still no turkey, but I did roast a duck and a chicken, and they both came out amazingly. I've decided I prefer duck to turkey. Polly and Katie came over early to help with the preparation, and together we made: a giant salad that we forgot to eat and Polly took home in a bag (a variation of Texas caviar); mashed potatoes; ratatouille style veggies; delicious baked tomatoes and mushrooms stuffed with some sort of cream cheese and garlic mix; gravy; cranberry sauce; stuffing; and a seriously delicious apple crumble (I want to give Katie a special shout out for this, because she made it by herself despite the fact that she hates baked fruit and refused to eat it). I forgot to make some homemade rolls until it was too late, but I don't think anyone missed them.

Here are just a few things that I am thankful for:

  • the wonderful and huge variety of friends I've made here
  • my friends back home (or wherever the fuck y'all are), about whom I constantly think and miss
  • my parents, whom I also miss immensely; I am so grateful to have the relationship with you that I do
  • the USA: never before have I understood so clearly what it means to feel completely comfortable and home in a place. Plus, being the only American (effectively) makes me want to be as obnoxious as possible about it (...to steal a sentiment from Polly).
  • Russia and the Russians
  • the fact that my mom is coming to visit for nearly two weeks!!!!!
  • the treadmill in my hallway that guilts me into exercising so I don't explode
  • the words y'all and hella, neither of which I ever said back in the states, but have come to embody familiarity in a strange land
  • the pizza I am going to eat with my awesome roommate tonight
  • life

I know it's been a long time since I blogged. Mostly, I'm lazy. The newest remarkable thing is the fact that it's becoming seriously cold. Last week I woke up, moseyed into the kitchen, and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the temperature was -25C. The cold, however, is no match for the cheapness I seem to have inherited from my father, and I would rather walk almost in tears than pay $0.79 for the bus.




2 comments:

  1. Haha, I made that walk almost every day last winter because I didn't want to fight with the babushki on the bus. The silver lining for me was the stop at Kopyeka on the way home for frozen dinner and microwave popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you had a good thanksgiving :)
    Try to stay warm out there, if you freeze i call dibs on the mk1

    ReplyDelete