Monday, January 24, 2011

I've got the bombs to make you blow, I've got the beats to make you bang

Frankly, this blog has been a bit of a ghost-town since my posting initially tapered off in the month of November. Nevertheless, I felt like I should at least mention the bombing at Domededovo airport: There was a bombing at Moscow's biggest airport. I only mention it because I live in the Moscow Region. There are always horrible things happening in the world and being reported about in the news. Honestly, I don't know what to say. I'm not good at this kind of stuff. A friend on facebook said this: "I don't think this will stop happening until the Russian government changes its policies toward the North Caucasus region. My heart goes out to the Russian people and to the people of the North Caucasus. This is so horrifying."

This is operating on the assumption that it was someone from the North Caucasus, of course, but given the hostile environment, it wouldn't be a surprise. I didn't write about it, but last month there were a lot of nationalistic, "Russia for Russians!" type protests happening after the killing of a Spartak (Moscow soccer team) fan, that involved a lot of danger for anyone not-white (here, this largely means people from the North Caucasus/Central Asia).

Here is a news article about the airport incident: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12272392 There are others, too.

I guess it's a good thing my friends and I don't regularly hang out in airports.


No comments:

Post a Comment