Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Buttermilk and Valentine's Day

A little while ago I wandered to a part of Mytishchi I hadn't yet been. Now I have been there. These are pictures.



I just love the way everything looks in the winter.

In other news, never in my life have I purchased as much milk that had already turned by the time I got to drinking it. I've become quite the expert at coming up with recipes utilizing this incidental buttermilk (y'all ought to know I ain't gonna waste a dollar by throwing it out). One of these creations was two loaves of a rye buttermilk bread (this is just one loaf, and the second one actually looked better. Oops.):



Polly and my's awesome and totally romantic Valentine's Day eve dinner... on the menu: homemade buttermilk mac and cheese, homemade buttermilk biscuits (NOT cookies!), a real salad with leaves and no mayo, mashed butternut squash, and some strawberry wine that came in a little grenade-looking jug. And yes, that's Al Green playing. (taken by Polly)

flying saucer over our dinner... (taken by Polly)

I must say, the card and chocolates from teenage boys is pretty endearing/a lifelong dream

the inside of the card! AWWW! means something like "soooo much!"

I've been here 6.5 months, so I feel like I should write something about my job, which is, after all, the reason I am here: It's ok. I can't say I overwhelmingly love or hate it, but overall I must enjoy it. Some classes are better than others, and the dynamics have changed throughout the year. There are some students I just totally adore (some of the teenagers, children, housewives) and probably only one that I am perpetually frustrated by (most of this stems from a bit of an attitude problem on their behalf-- I had a couple of individual lessons with this person and those weren't bad). The real shortcomings are not with the students, but with the administration. I didn't think I would feel this way several months back, but I am pretty certain I will be staying another year. Any downsides are outweighed by the fact that I LOVE living in Russia. It's hard to put my finger on exactly what it is, so I'm not going to try. And I don't mean to imply that I don't miss the States-- because I do, more than ever. While teaching works for now, it won't work forever, and I feel like I have to give myself a real chance of living here without being stuck in an English bubble, so a lot of my free time and thoughts are devoted to scheming up ways to make that happen. (Marrying an Oligarch?)


P.S. I'm taking suggestions for how to use the last of my buttermilk.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha I thought the P.S. would say, "I'm taking suggestions for how to find and marry an oligarch!" :)

    ReplyDelete