Monday, February 28, 2011

Thai, finally

It should come as no surprise that I love Thai Food*. In San Diego, and indeed in most of the US that I've spent time in by now, Thai food has become increasingly popular. Unfortunately, the same is not true here. Since arriving in Russia, I have become more of an experimental "chef" (I used this word in the loosest fashion) and eaten out very infrequently. Because I love cooking, I haven't really minded, but recently I had a very sudden and intense craving for Thai food. On Wednesday (Day of the Defender of the Fatherland), the original intent of the evening was to eat at such a restaurant, only to be turned away upon arrival (I guess reservations on a holiday are something we should have thought of).

Desire still burning inside of me, yesterday Polly and I had an increasingly characteristic Sunday date at a Thai restaurant in Moscow, a place called Baan Thai , near the Kievskaya metro station slightly South-East of the center of the city. It was easy to find (despite being a 10-15 minute walk from the station) and along a major street. We walked in and had our coats taken by a man near the door, then descended into the restaurant (down some stairs and around a corner). It was divided up into three rooms, so we choose a table in the middle room (so each room had one dining party--it was not a busy night) for a little privacy (or something).



cute mandarin tree decoration on our table, which took all of Polly's efforts not to steal.


my blurry self, hair softer than ever

The decor/ambiance was very pleasant and low key, and only disturbed by the two men dining together in the other room having simultaneous conversations on their cell phones. Loudly.

The service was prompt, and they offered both English and Russian language menus (we had one of each). We ordered strawberry mojitos, a vegetarian spring roll appetizer, Polly ordered pad thai and I some red curry made with coconut milk.



The mojitos were de-lish and made with real strawberries and the food was superb (so spicy! a rarity here in Russia) and satisfying in every way. The only downside is that it was rather pricey--our check totaled at around 2200 rubles (~$73), although Polly and I agreed that it was worth every single kopeck of that.

*Why is this no surprise, you might ask? Because I love ALL food.

1 comment:

  1. i crave the same food, found place called Daikon that is quite authentic Thai (they do a solid Pho too), and waaay cheaper.

    ReplyDelete