Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Bananananana bread, a recipe

One of my favorite things to bake is banana bread. My signature recipe involves a lot of banana (4-5), a lot of chocolate (a lot), and a cinnamon-sugar swirl through the middle. It's really closer to some kind of a banana brownie but, nevertheless, has been a hit with everyone I've fed it to, with one glaring exception:

My husband.*

First I had to omit the chocolate (noooooooooo), since it's something he doesn't eat. And since then, it's been a struggle to reduce the sugar to a point where he doesn't say it's too sweet. Finally I decided to find a recipe that had no sugar added. The problem when searching for such a recipe, is that you're inevitably directed to various "healthy" versions of banana bread-- a kind of wholegrain, gluten-free, reduced-fat, no-sugar-added nightmare.

I decided it was time to concoct my own no-sugar-added version of my favorite "bread." After setting the oven at 325F (~162C), I:

thoroughly mashed and mixed
  • 2 medium-small bananas
  • 1/2-3/4 cup apricot-applesauce**
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
then stirred in
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
then slowly sifted in about
  • 2 cups flour
being careful not to over-mix.

I poured the batter into a well-buttered (approx 9"x5" loaf pan) then popped it into the oven for about 55 minutes (until a knife inserted into the middle came out more or less clean).


I made two mistakes:
  • the major one being that I forgot to add cinnamon. This lead my husband to say it sucked. Straight to my face!
  • My second mistake was marrying a man who doesn't love my banana bread.

...Ok I'm only joking about mistake number two. The real second mistake was that I baked it for about 10-15 minutes less than I should've.

Nevertheless, the end result was tasty, with a rich and not-too-sweet flavor and nice, firm texture.

I wanted to post pictures, but it seems I've misplaced the cable for my camera (which is, naturally, a sony-specific adapter) so it might be a long time before that happens again.


*In other news: I got married.
**baby-food apple puree, since applesauce isn't a thing sold in all (or many) supermarkets here, combined with apricot варенье (varen'ye, which is similar to, I dunno, jam?)

No comments:

Post a Comment