Saturday, March 10, 2012

My other other bread, another recipe

March 8th was International Women's Day. Polly and I "celebrated" by going to the honey festival (FINALLLLLY), where we ate a lot of honey and drank free samples of medovukha (mead, honey wine, delicious). Then we made our way toward the Beverly Hills Diner, which is, as one might guess, an American style diner. Their menu options look great on the website (here it is in English) and I've been wanting to go there for awhile (mostly to try their milkshakes). Unfortunately, since it was International Women's Day, it was packed and we didn't feel like waiting. Instead, after hungrily wandering the streets for about 10 minutes, we opted for what is basically a frightening Russian version of Subway. Located right outside of a sketchy looking metro station, my falafel sandwich was cheap, surprisingly delicious, and, most remarkably, (I feel safe saying this 4 days later) didn't make me sick.

Otherwise my weekend involved milkshakes from Starlite diner--the only establishment I've found, so far, that serves real milkshakes and not the foamy, liquidy "milk cocktails" like most restaurants in Moscow-- pizza (from a new-ish restaurant called Montalto which I will write about in a separate post; here is one review), Old Arbat, and baking.

In another kitchen experiment, I tweaked the no-sugar-added banana bread recipe just a little, with excellent results
  • 3 medium-small bananas, mashed
  • About 1/2 cup apricot varen'ye (jam) and applesauce
  • 1/4 sour cream
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp vanilla sugar (since vanilla extract doesn't exist here)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 1.5 cups flour

I combined all those things in the order listed and baked in a well-greased 9"x5" bread pan at 325F (~160C) for about an hour and 10 minutes. This bread has a chewier texture and rich flavor, but none of the ingredients are especially prominent. I prefer this one to the last one.


No comments:

Post a Comment